I think that 2018 will be the year that the "Avatar" takes the mainstream public.
Bitmoji has already begun to do this for teens, but I really think that we are going to be seeing a lot more widespread use of avatars to represent our characters this coming year.
Immersive virtual reality, in many ways, will rely on Avatars as a levering point for growth. People will be extremely familiar with seeing other people's Avatars - just like real life.
This is important for a number of reasons.
1) It allows people, for the first time in history, to express their "true identity."
2) At the same time, it allows people truly conceal their identities.
3) At scale, there are a number of challenging questions when Avatars are mainstream.
- is there fraud? if so, how?
- who owns what style?
- what companies will be built with avatars in mind?